For thousands of years, humans relied heavily on archery as their means of survival for both hunting and combat. After civilization kicked in and we no longer had to rely on game for our survival, archery fell terribly. Well, it was the introduction of gunpowder that led to the slow extinction of bows and arrows.
That being beside the point, there comes a time when SHTF and you need a tool that will help you keep your enemies at bay and also fend for food. In this article, we are trying to weigh the options between having our most favorite rifles or going traditional for bows and arrows when SHTF.
Before, diving in to ponder the pros and cons you should know that what we will conclude here is not just for a TEOTWAWKI kind of situation but may also come in handy as an alternative way of protecting your family in dire circumstances.
Archery Vs Guns
It stands to reason that you believe that your preferred weapon is the most efficient to get you through any survival situation. However, regardless of choice, there has to be one tool that stands superior to the other.
When it comes to real world usage, each of our weapons may have their drawbacks. For instance, access to arrows and ammunition may be restricted or the capacity to repair crossbows and guns limited. Therefore, we will try to give you the best pick for both short and long-term survival situations.
Archery Pros and Cons
Like guns, bows come in various shapes and sizes depending on the need. When SHTF, a survival bow can range from anything, be it a makeshift bow and arrow or a compound crossbow that has the best bow stabilizer and bolts. As we proceed, ask yourself; given a choice between a gun with three rounds or a bow and three arrows, what would you choose?
– When it comes to the ammo department archery has an advantage since technically it is easier to make more arrows when you run out than it is to make ammunition. Not to say that is impossible to make ammo, but the mechanics are simpler when it comes to arrows. It is already hard today to get ammo today, when it comes to a SHTF situation, you can be sure that you will have to pay top dollar if you find it.
– Another trait archery brings to the table is stealth. When using a re-curve bow, the shot is pretty soundless. A crossbow may be louder but when using string silencers and the best bow stabilizers the assailant is likely to hear nothing. Again, when SHTF, you may have more than animals to be wary; a smart enemy may be able to tell where you are shooting from based on the direction of the arrow. However, an arrow gives you the chance to leave the firing position before it hits the target.
– Bows and arrows have a tremendous advantage over guns in that you can reuse your ammunition. With bullets, let alone reusing, try finding it first. When it comes to practicing your shot, you are better placed if your weapon of choice is the bow since, in a SHTF kind of situation, you may need to preserve your ammo as much as possible.
– In a long-term survival situation, an archer has the advantage of easy weapon maintenance. A gun handler must be able to keep their rifle clean. This means that even if you bring with you a gun cleaning kit in your bug out bag, how long will the oil last? In the long run, you may not be doing any shooting at all.
– Let’s face it. You are not going to pick up a bow and arrow today and start protecting yourself. When it comes to archery, you must have months of practice to at least hit a target 20 yards away consistently. On the other hand, the best rifle scopes allow you to aim your target without strain accurately.
– Another drawback when dealing with bows and arrows is their slow rate of fire. We have some archers who can fire up to 3 arrows in less than 1.5 seconds accurately but again this takes years to perfect.
– It is needless to say that guns bear more advantage when it comes to firing range. With a modern weapon with the best rifle scopes you can hit a target up to 600 yards away without even breaking a sweat.
– Another drawback is that guns have a greater stopping power compared to bows. This makes it easier for a shooter to take down their target on the spot. In case you were hunting game, this means that you do not have to track your animal.
Remember that question of three arrows or three bullets when SHTF? By now, you must have the answer. In a survival situation, you stand a better chance with archery than guns. Not to say that guns are inferior; but what would it hurt to have a contingency plan?
Kevin Steffey is an avid hunter and freelance writer. He loves spending time in the field with his rifle more than almost anything else, and occupies his off-time discussing deer and their habits online. He is a founder at www.deerhuntingfield.com