Everyone knows that practice makes for perfect prepping. But when is the last time you practiced your off-grid skills by cooking outside?
That’s the beautiful thing about summer. You can prep and it feels like a party instead of a chore. Take some time while the weather is hot to hone your off-grid cooking skills.
- For one thing, it will keep your home a lot cooler. One of the biggest ways we add ambient heat to our homes is by cooking.
- Secondly, an emergency is no time to waste food, which is a very real possibility when using an unfamiliar cooking method. There’s an art to it, and it takes some practice.
- And finally, let’s be honest, what doesn’t taste better when cooked outside?
Sometime this week, I challenge you to pick a day to cook all of you meals outside. Don’t stop with grilling meat. Make coffee and pancakes, cook up some vegetables, make sandwiches, and let everyone create their own shish-k-bobs. Get creative and practice your skills at the same time.
Why you need to practice
It’s really essential to practice the things you intend to do to survive well before an emergency for many reasons. Here are just a few:
- What if you just plain suck at cooking outside?
- What if you don’t have the right tools?
- What if your cooking method doesn’t work the way you expected?
- What if you get hurt?
Continue Reading to find out 5 way to practice cooking outside!