Did your kids bring home lice from school? That shouldn’t come as a surprise. In the US, an estimated twelve million lice infestations occur every year. Getting rid of lice is getting harder and harder due to pesticide-resistant head lice. These days, effective lice removal requires alternative methods.
Physical Methods to Remove Lice
You can start with physical lice removal techniques. These include
- Combing out lice and nits with special combs.
- Drying out lice with special devices or, alternatively, a hairdryer.
- Shaving heads is certainly effective. When there’s no hair left to live in, lice will be gone in no time.
Natural Pesticides Against Lice
For a less physical approach, you can try to use natural pesticides, such as
- rosemary oil or
- sesame seed oil.
These will kill your lice fast.
Methods from your Kitchen that Lice Don’t Like
If you don’t have the right kind of oil to kill lice, try using
to suffocate lice. This will require sleeping with a shower cap.
Alternatively, wash your hair with a mixture of salt and vinegar. The salt will dry out lice from the inside.
Surprising Methods to Help Against Lice
Oils are too natural for your taste? Try these surprising methods instead:
- Washing your hair with booze will send lice into an alcohol-induced coma and can be washed out afterwards.
- You can also try a long-time favorite of many: Washing your hair with mouthwash, which has a similar effect to booze.
Cleaning your Environment from Lice
Once you’re done with removing lice from hair, you also need to make sure that none are left hiding in your immediate environment. Basically, you need to clean your house!
- Vacuum floors
- Make sure furniture is clean
- Wash linens
- Wash personal items (such as clothes, stuffed animals, brushes, etc.)
The following infographic shows 10 of the most effective methods for lice removal that don’t require a trip to the pharmacy.