I am not a doctor or a medical professional this is for information purposes only. Please consult with a medical professional if you have any questions or you start to take any supplements.
Even in healthy people, multivitamins and other supplements may help to prevent vitamin and mineral deﬁciencies. They also provide more nutrients than diet can alone, so they may help to protect against, or manage, certain diseases. If SHTF for real, our stockpiled food will not sustain us for long. After that happens we are on our own. We will have to hunt and gather wild edibles to survive, but the question is…. is that going to be enough?…. the following categories highlight those people who can most beneﬁt from taking daily supplements and if you fall into any of these categories maybe think about stockpiling supplements.
- People who have lost weight, who may be deﬁcient in a wide range of vitamins and minerals.
- Vegetarians, who are more likely to be deﬁcient in vitamin B12, iron, vitamin D, zinc, iodine, riboﬂavin, calcium, and selenium
- Vegans, who are even more likely than vegetarians to be low in protein, selenium, and B12. • People living a typical “student lifestyle” and anyone not eating a balanced diet is likely to beneﬁt from a multivitamin supplement.
- Elderly people living in their own homes, who are often deﬁcient in vitamin D, vitamin A, vitamin E, calcium, and zinc, and occasionally vitamin B1 and vitamin B2.
- Smokers, who are most likely to be deﬁcient in vitamin C and zinc.
- Premenopausal women, who have often been found to consume low amounts of calcium, iron, vitamin A, and vitamin C.
- Pregnant women are often advised to take a folic acid supplement, and studies have shown that taking a multivitamin supplement before and during pregnancy leads to a healthier pregnancy and a healthier baby.
- Anyone living in a colder climate who does not get regular sun exposure is likely to be deﬁcient in vitamin D, which can lead to, among other problems, an increased incidence of breast cancer, bowel cancer, depression, osteoporosis, Parkinson’s and heart disease.
- Anyone who is under stress is likely to beneﬁt from taking additional B vitamins.